10 of the best veggie restaurants to eat in Birmingham
Our student Anmbrin Amjid discusses the most delicious vegetarian eateries in Birmingham!
2019 was the year that gave vegans and vegetarians more options in the mainstream food market, with stores such as KFC offering the ‘imposter burger’ and Greggs creating the ‘Vegan Sausage Roll’. Despite this, finding restaurants that deliver on being meat-free without bargaining on taste and flavour can still be challenging, so here are some places in Birmingham that serve the delicious food that packs a punch.
- Not Dogs – Link Street, Birmingham B5 4B. Not Dogs is for hot dog lovers who want a vegetarian alternative, the store has raving reviews and offers fully customisable meat free hot dogs. It’s so delicious that a lot of the visitors to the store are meat eaters. The store aims to reduce climate change by reducing the meat consumed on the planet. The location is prime for those who pass through the city centre daily.
- Nakodar Sweet Centre – 112 Soho Rd, Birmingham B21 9DP. If you’re a fan of Indian food, then this is the place for you. Authentic vegetarian Indian food at prices that are extremely affordable. The staff are exceptionally friendly and are more than happy to offer you advice on what to order. Their offerings include traditional Indian sweets like Gulab Jamun or main dishes such as Palak Paneer, served with a variety of breads cooked to order.
- The Warehouse Café – 54-57 Allison St, Digbeth, Birmingham, B5 5TH – The Warehouse Café offers a seasonal menu, depending on the availability of local produce. The restaurant has won the Midlands Food & Hospitality Award twice in a row, proving just how amazing the store is. The restaurant offers Sunday Roasts which are fully vegan. Other offerings include the Halloumi Fish and Chips and the Batata Harra Wrap, filled with delicious ethically sourced ingredients, the store also offers a gluten free range.
- Ba-ha – 16 York Rd, Birmingham, B14 7RZ. Ba-ha is a completely vegan store, offering delicious vegan junk food to satiate any cravings. They are open on Thursday, Friday and Saturday in a pop-up shop on York road. The store sells unique and quirky food such as Rainbow Fries, Dirty Burgers and Lemon and Chia pancake stacks.
- The Veggie Chippy – 228 New John St W, Birmingham, B19 3UA. The Veggie Chippy is a great alternative for vegetarians to enjoy the chip shop staples, without the animal products. They offer a menu that includes, ‘Vicken’ and ‘Vish’ and ‘Veef’, alongside pizza and curries. The restaurant offers an egg free range and a vegan range too, with the prices set at a similar point to a regular chip shop and the great reviews the store has received online, it would be worth giving it a try.
- Veg Heads – 93 Alcester Rd, Birmingham, England- The restaurant, based in Mosely, offers a variety of vegetarian food. Whether you’re searching for a junk food fix or looking to enjoy home-style cooked meals, you have the guarantee of the food being flavourful and meat free. The menu is limited when compared to some other vegetarian restaurants, but this is due to their desire to serve only perfected dishes.
- Natural Healthy Foods – Orion Building, Suffolk Street Queensway, B1 1LT- The first vegan café opened in Birmingham City Centre, offering a concept which is popular in American deli style restaurants whereby the diners pay for their food by the weight of it. There is a variety of different salads and dishes available, it’s great if you want to try new things but not commit to ordering large portions. The food in the store is gluten free, organic and free of all refined sugar alongside being fully vegan. The dishes include typical salads to spicy curries, all available to choose according to your personal preference.
- 3 Three’s Coffee –17-19 Martineau Place Unit 8, Birmingham B2 4UB, England. The store is the perfect location for students who want somewhere more social to study with a range of delicious coffees and teas alongside vegetarian friendly treats available to buy on site. If you happen to stay until lunch, they also offer fresh salads and toasties.
- Bistro 1847–26 Great Western Arcade, B2 5HU – For those who want to engage in a fine dining experience, Bistro offers sophisticated vegan dishes, using seasonal vegetables as the key components. You can get a variety of dishes such as Tofu Scallops and Ricotta Dumplings. The store is on the expensive side, but perfect a perfect place for celebrations.
- Falafel Vegan Munch – 68 Digbeth, Birmingham B5 6DH. Affordable and high-quality middle eastern foods with fresh Hummus and Falafel served up in a variety of ways. The store prides itself on freshly squeezed juices prepared to order and fully customisable. The store also serves speciality foods such as Vine Leaves and Tabbouleh Salad.