As 2019 draws to a close, a time where traditions of making New Year’s resolutions falls upon us.

Creating New Year’s resolutions can be an amazing way to change your life, this is due to the fact that the New Year can be a time filled with hope and prosperity and a chance to start afresh. When picking New Year’s resolutions my advice would be to do so with caution. As tempting as it can be to pick something bold and ambitious, remember to be kind to yourself and pick things that you will genuinely enjoy to help you reach your goal. A popular choice includes becoming or remaining fit and healthy leading to individuals taking amazing steps towards changing their lives such as changing their diets and joining the gym. In the latter months of the year this motivation can decline and often individuals deem themselves as failures if they do not achieve their goal. To prevent this, my advice to anyone would be set a target that is realistic for your life and is something you will be able to implement long-term or for the period of time you wish to.

If you do have your heart set on an ambitious plan then my advice would be to break it up into smaller goals which you can celebrate throughout the year when they are met with small rewards. If things don’t go to plan and you end up not meeting your smaller goals, this can be a great way to reflect and assess where things need changing in your approach. 

When setting resolutions my personal advice would be to pick things that are realistic, if you want to lose weight make smaller changes that will be far more manageable and suitable for your lifestyle, such as drinking more water instead of fizzy drinks or walking an extra bus stop home / parking further from the car park than you usually do. Reflect on 2019 before making plans for 2020 and acknowledge all of the things that made you happy and you will forever cherish. This can also be a time where you notice anything you really wish to change about your life at the moment and to evaluate what really matters to you as a person, be it on a worldwide perspective or a personal perspective.

My New Year’s resolution this year is to fall in love with life again. Often life can become overbearing and surviving day to day becomes the only thing that matters. With this in mind we can begin to forget who we really are and what makes us happy. This can be due to various reasons. Falling in love with life again is something I feel I need to do, focusing on the little things that make life worthwhile and make me smile is my goal for 2020, practicing being grateful and accepting any challenges that may come my way with an optimistic outlook. I plan to do this by making positive changes and focus on my well-being and listening to what my body is trying to tell me.

Be sure to reflect on your 2019 and remember those who may not be entering 2020 with us. Celebrate all the amazing moments that life has graced you with this year and also about the things that made you happiest, making more time for things like this could be something to consider adding to your New Year’s resolutions list. Remember to also keep in mind the things you enjoy, New Year’s Resolutions are often about change but reflecting on 2019 can also help you create New Years resolutions on things you wish to keep the same for 2020.

As amazing as the holidays are, they can sometimes become the loneliest time. If over the holidays you find yourself needing someone to talk to the Samaritans can be contacted 24-hours a day 365 days a year on the free phone number 116 123. I hope everyone stays safe over the holidays and has a lovely time with their families.

Thank you for reading, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from me!

Anmbrin