History student Daniel, talks about his transition from year one into year two here at Newman.

“Studying history at Newman University has, quite honestly, been one of the best personal experiences of my life. My first year in history focused on an introduction to the ancient world and modern American modules for the first semester continuing with Tudor Britain and modern Britain. First year gave me the confidence to think about the type of student I wanted to be and what path I wanted to go down in terms of studying the past through a diverse selection of modules, shown above – with further selection in both second and third year.

The history department staff members were very welcoming to students

They are very down to earth and very approachable. Each staff member made an effort to get to know each and every students’ name and encouraged us as a cohort to get involved in class discussions and contribute or ask questions openly with confidence during lectures. Nothing appeared to be too much for members of the department and that is still true to this day as a second-year student. The history department staff members, in short, do go above and beyond what they need to do from the view of a very basic student-lecturer-relationship.

Since becoming part of the Newman family, my confidence as an individual has consequently grown

I have personally developed as an individual and an academic. My primary research as a second-year student focuses on; the ancient world; the Tudor/medieval world and further research into critical pedagogy. The broad range of members of staff having a combined knowledge of all aspects of history offers varying range of subjects to study which is beneficial to individuals that wish to study one particular area or have an interest in that area, or would rather study more broadly. These options are available, which highlights both Newman University’s and the history department’s commitment to giving its students the best opportunities during and after study combined with a supportive and beneficial work placement programme.

I would highly recommend the history degree programme

Newman University and the degree programme has done more for me in two years and given me fantastic opportunities and experiences that will stick with me for life and give me a brilliant future. My advice to any student thinking about studying here would be to come and speak to myself and speak to the very approachable members of staff here. Also, I would say to just get into volunteering as much as possible, becoming involved in opportunities such as mentoring has been a great experience and greatly benefited myself as I develop.”

0 Comments