Sarah worked at a bank for 23 years before taking voluntary redundancy and going back to studying in order to fulfil her passion of becoming a Counsellor. Let’s hear from Sarah…
“I cannot believe how much I am enjoying learning second time around!”

Hi, I’m Sarah and I took voluntary redundancy after 23 years in banking with one building society at the grand old age of 41! I am looking to become a Counsellor, I am half way through my introduction certificate in counselling and have just been accepted on the the Foundation degree in counselling which I am delighted to start in September. I cannot believe how much I am enjoying learning second time around and it’s such a luxury to have this time in my life and I am going to grab it with both hands.

“The support at Newman has surpassed all expectations especially in terms of support from student services and the library”

My lecturers’ education style is engaging and passionate but equally honest and supportive. Thanks Steve. My highlight at Newman is the people, both lecturer Steve and my peers – who are just so friendly, I also love the library.

“I wanted to study at Newman after visiting other universities such as Coventry and Warwick and the welcome and feel was so different here especially as a mature learner”

Not withstanding this, the degree course I wanted was covered by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) which was what I wanted. I have nearly finished my certificate in integrated counselling and have been accepted onto the foundation degree that starts in September.

I live with my husband and have 4 children ages 9, 16, 19 and 21 and a 3 legged cat and 2 rabbits! I love being outside in my spare time walking or cycling, my weakness is red wine and cheese!

If you have a story you’d like to share with us then email socialmedia@newman.ac.uk. We always love to hear student stories. If you’re interested in a career in counselling, then take a look at our counselling courses.