Karen is a student but also part-time staff member at the university working in the Sanctuary. Karen wanted to share her story on studying as a mature student.

Student Karen Seleshe

My entry into University is very unique

I was working full time in a primary school and was on long term sickness with mental health linked to anxiety and depression.  My doctor advised me to undertake something to keep my mind occupied and I decided to research undertaking a university degree.  As I live in Bartley Green, Newman University was my choice as my daughter had attended the University and had achieved high grades.

I visited the Admissions Office and filled in the form online and waited to see if I was accepted

I began as a part-time student studying Applied Social Sciences in September 2018.  I attended the HeadStart programme for 2 weeks and this did help me.  In Semester 2 of my first year, I transferred to study History full time as I have a deep rooted interest in this subject.

I would recommend Newman University to any mature student thinking of undertaking a degree

I have access to the support of Learning / Student Support and have had counselling and access to a Mental Health Advisor.  The staff at the University are so supportive and my lecturers in History are fantastic. I am nearing the end of my second year and it has not been easy.  I have feelings of self-doubt and lack of confidence but I want to succeed for my own self fulfillment.  I would recommend Newman University to any mature student thinking of undertaking a degree.

If you’re reading this and you’re a current Newman University student, we’d love to hear from you about your journey. Feel free to comment below and we’ll get back to you.

0 Comments