As this year, Father’s Day will be like no other due to COVID-19 and the lockdown measures that have been put in place, student Anmbrin has put together a list of things you can still do for your father.

Unless you live with your Father, it can be tough to think of ways to thank him for his love and effort, especially when physical contact is restricted with the 2 metre rule.

Below are some suggestions on how you can still celebrate Father’s Day whilst adhering to the government guidelines on social distancing. Of course, this list is not exhaustive and applies to all father figures in your life, so feel free to adapt the suggestions to your own needs and preferences.

Send a letter

If your Father (or someone you want to thank on Father’s Day) does not have access to electronics, a lovely handwritten letter or card could be an amazing way to send something. Be sure to post the letter early if this is what you choose to do, as postage has been facing delays. Remember to write on the envelope ‘Open on Father’s day’.

Hold an online Father’s Day party

Applications such as Zoom are perfect for this. All your family members can join and prepare their own food and this gives you the chance to catch up with your dad and let him know just how much he means to you. If your dad does not have the software required to use applications such as Zoom, you can create a homemade video with clips from all of your siblings (so long as your family has access to a computer) and record a Father’s Day message for your dad. You can combine the clips and email them over to your Dad.

Meet in a park

As lockdown rules have now been relaxed and you are now allowed to meet in a private garden or public space such as a park as long as you stay 2 metres away from one another, you could have a picnic in the park and bring your own food and spend some quality time with your father. Of course, these rules can change at any moment so be sure to check what the current guidance is on the situation, especially if your father belongs to a group of people who have been advised to shield.

Post a gift

Looking for an excuse to do some online shopping? Look no further, many services are offering direct gift delivery to the recipient which is especially great if you live in a different city to your father, or are unable to travel to drop the gift off. There are also options for gift wrap and notes. Other options could include food gift boxes with retro sweets and other personalised hampers that can be designed online.

Send an e-card

If you do not want to send a physical gift or your Dad is the kind of guy who has everything he could possibly want, this may be the perfect solution. An E-card can be personalised and a gift voucher can be attached for a store or a gift experience.

Remember them

Sadly, many people have lost their lives over the past few months, many people have lost their Father’s or people who they deemed as fatherly figures. Spend the day doing what they loved doing or what comforts you. Light a candle and remember them in silence, donate to a local food bank or charity in their name.

However you spend Father’s day, remember to thank your dad one way or another. For me personally my dad has always been my hero, he has spent years looking after me and my siblings. Sacrificing things so we could have things he didn’t, no amount of thanks will ever make up for any of this. But showing him how much I appreciate him is all I can hope to do.

I am lucky as I still live with my dad, so I plan to make him his favourite food and spend the day doing all of the things he enjoys but have not yet decided what I will buy him. As he is one of those people who is impossible to shop for, a gift card is most probable.  I understand that not everyone has the best relationship with their father, so if you do not have your Dad in your life, take this opportunity to thank the person who has taken the role of a father in your life.

Here’s to all the amazing Father figures in our lives, those who are still with us and those who are sadly no longer here. Regardless of what you choose to do, stay safe and be sure to stick to the government guidelines. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads reading!
Thank you for reading
– Anmbrin –