Having a family that lives hours away meant that I started thinking about Father’s Day back in early May, worried about where to buy gifts and how I was going to get them sent safely to my family up North. Non-essential retail stores in both shopping centres and the high street will reopen their doors from 15th June. If this date doesn’t give you enough time to shop, or you’re feeling uneasy at the thought of returning to crowded shopping centres so soon, I’ve put together a few suggestions of thoughtful gifts you can buy or make at home, just in time for Father’s Day on the 21st June.

Vouchers are usually a polarising present, with some believing they’re the best option to allow your love ones to buy what they actually want, and others questioning the thought that goes into giving a voucher as a gift. With spas, retreats and driving ranges still closed due to lockdown restrictions, a voucher may be a thoughtful option this Father’s Day, promising a day out to look forward to when everything is over as well as supporting businesses that rely on vouchers while they’re closed to the public. Buy a Gift website has some great ideas for days out with your Dad post-lockdown.

For more personalised gifts, websites like Etsy and Not on the High Street have a wide range of trinkets and treasures, a lot of which can be personalised making them even more special. I myself have ordered a wall poster for my dad, he’s a football fan and I managed to dig out a retro print of his team’s football stadium. Another benefit of using websites such as this is that more often than not, they’re filled with the products of local businesses, who in this difficult time need our support more than ever.

Lockdown has seen me join the army of amateur bakers using this time to create delicious sweet treats to share with my family. My recent visits to the supermarket have been more successful, as it seems the demand for flour has reduced and baking materials have become readily available once more. BBC Good Food have a multitude of recipes to inspire you just in time for Father’s Day, if you’re shielding or unable to shop for a gift, a delicious bake is a great alternative. I know my dad loves nothing more than to sit and relax with a coffee and a slice of cake.

For those who have been adversely affected by COVID-19 and who may not be in a position to buy or make a gift, there are still ways to celebrate Father’s Day and give your loved ones a day to remember. The weather is set to improve over the Father’s Day weekend, forecast for 22 degrees on Sunday 21st June, and with our outside activities no longer restricted, what better time to venture outside and get some fresh air?! A picnic or a long scenic walk is a great alternative to spending the day indoors, and a cost effective gift for those who may not be in a position to spend.

Considering the above, perhaps the most important gift you can give your dad this Father’s Day is time spent together. We’re so fortunate that lockdown has given us time to spend with our families that we may not have ordinarily enjoyed. As normality slowly resumes, this is our last opportunity to relish being indoors with our loved ones, therefore the most thoughtful gift you could be giving on the 21st June is yourself and your loving company.

– Beth –