Many of us celebrating Eid have had a difficult year, where we can’t celebrate Eid with families because of Covid-19 rules or because families live so far away and we need to stay local, but remember we are strong and we will overcome this. May Allah (God) accept your Ramadan and I hope you have a lovely Eid!

In my family we have a tradition which we do every year because without this it wouldn’t be Eid for us! The first thing I do when I wake up is I eat pumpkin meat curry. After I eat, I put fake tattoos on my arm just for fun and then I get dressed. Extended family usually come over and this year we spent time in the garden which we couldn’t do last Eid, so it was nice. We took photos and we have a dessert table so we ate desert together. Then I went to my auntie’s house who I haven’t seen for over a year and we had more dessert! We enjoyed our time together than it was back to normality in the night. Appreciate the little things as we couldn’t do these things last year.

Below you can see our Eid decorations which my sister decorated:

Lastly, I’d like to say that Newman University is a diverse university where we celebrate all faiths and put on activities around campus and hopefully this will return back to normal by the end of this year when the pandemic is controlled, and if you want to attend a multicultural university, Newman is the university for you.

Eid Mubarak to everyone celebrating.

– Saleha Akhter –