Sports & Exercise Science Alumnus James Wareham’s Journey

Published by Newman University on

Alumnus James Wareham
We got to speak to Sports and Exercise Science Newman University graduate James about his journey from studying at Newman, to becoming a Personal Trainer and Online Coach.
“I graduated with a degree in Sports and Exercise Science BSc in 2009

“Studying this degree made me realise that teaching wasn’t for me, but that doesn’t need to be seen as a negative as it made me realise, I had to pursue other avenues. Modules in public health, human physiology, psychology and biomechanics have all helped me while undertaking further qualifications.

“Whilst studying at Newman, I met some great people who I’m still friends with today. I have some fantastic memories of attending lecturers and handing in assignments…the stress ha-ha!

“The staff support was fantastic!

“Lecturers at the time such as Mark Lyons, Tony Myers and Professor Nakeeb were absolute legends. They were always at hand to offer help and support. These guys really helped me.

“The lab in which we used for lectures was my favourite facility

“Although the facilities have massively changed now, the lab in which we used for lecturers was great. Equipment such as the BodPod which measured body fat etc. was something I’d never used before.

“My advice to someone considering studying at Newman but is nervous would be…

“Just go there, engulf yourself in your studies, you’ll 100% meet new people and friends. I found Newman to be a great place for sports clubs, social outings and also the location as it’s close to Birmingham City centre.

“In my spare time, I love to train

“I’m entering my first natural bodybuilding show in Sep 2022 so I’m preparing for that. I’m also a massive Aston Villa fan and have a season ticket so I never miss a home game.

“I commuted from Halesowen to Newman

“The commute to Newman was great, close by, easy to access and I worked part time in Selfridges while studying so the location off the campus helped me travel in and out of work easily.

“My next steps for my career are to develop a bigger presence online and expand my online coaching business

“Also maybe one day open up my own boutique PT studio where I can expand and have members of staff working with me under my brand.

“In 3-5 years I will continue to offer the very best service to my clients

“Which is always the main priority to go above and beyond in helping individuals to change their lives for the better. To continually strive for better results, personal training is a results driven business!

“I’m always willing to come in and talk to students

“I’m always at hand to help students who might want to talk to me, you can follow me on Instagram, my username is @jameswarehampt.”

0 Comments